February 27, 2011

What I knit to...

I thought that it might interest some people to know what I knit to. I don't know why it would be of interest to anyone but I have to blog about something I am familiar with and leave the problems in the Middle East and Wisconsin to those in the know.

Anyhew, I find that the Jurassic Park trilogy especially conducive to the ol' knit n purl. I find the sounds of people being terrorizied by dinosaurs relaxing but also fast enough to get momentum going. The TV series Primeval is also good in this respect.

The Mummy trilogy is fun to knit to as I have seen it so many times that I don't actually have to watch the screen, although I do when Brendan Fraser* is talking. Blast from the Past is another Brendan Fraser film to have on in the background, light and peppy while showcasing a much younger Fraser and Nathan Fillion. And you can't go wrong with Christopher Walken as a straitlaced but goofy 60's era father.

Both Addams Family movies provide the right combo of levity and the macabre that I find refreshing. The Scream trilogy also works for the same reasons. Of course the reality shows Ghost Hunters and Destination Truth are also excellent, with light, often funny commentary and you do not have to pay close attention till the end 10 minutes.

My favourite shows, like Being Human, Supernatural, 30 Rock and Community get my full attention, at least the first time around. Not surprisingly The Office and Parks and Rec are easier to watch while one is not paying full attention as the humour often runs on the uncomfortable side.

Home decorating shows, on the other hand, are not good for knitting to, mostly because you need to pay attention to the before and afters, and the repartee is often contrived and forced (with the exception of anything Sarah Richardson and Tommy Smythe do; their longtime friendship is apparent in their back and forth).

Well, I hope that this has been as entertaining to read as it has been to write. Now, to knit!

*A side note: Brendan Fraser is a highly undervalued actor. He gives 100% to the film, no matter how crappy it may be.

No comments: